Two piece wrestling uniform

What's everyone think of what Flowrestling is trying to do and get rid of the singlet and start using a two piece uniform? The comments on their topic really show they are out of touch and are trying to make a buck off this. Weren't they the ones who made a big push at #bulging? They loved the singlet then. When they tried this last year, didn't most the wrestlers end up taking off the top?

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251972-2015-FloNationals/article/30325-FloNationals-Uniform-Announcement#.VQbXdGTF8pI

I'm one that is all for it. I'm as old school as anyone and prefer the singlet but I think it's time we try the idea on a larger scale. I say allow it as an option. In the end I don't think it would replace the singlet, just gives those kids starting out in the sport a different option. I think most of the people completely opposed to the idea are those that are not on the front lines trying to recruit kids at the middle school and high school levels. It's easy to be opposed to the idea if you're a former wrestler or fan, concerned about the pride and tradition of the singlet. I get that and agree. But society has changed, you may not want to believe it but kids don't even want to give our sport a shot because of the singlet. They also "claim" they would give the sport a shot if they were allowed to wear something like what FLO is trying to use in their event. Now who knows, obviously not all of them will actually do it but I honestly think it would open the door for some who are hesitant because of it. It IS no doubt a factor in kids not giving wrestling a try. I believe this because I'm trying to recruit them every year.

Sometimes I feel like we as wrestlers/former wrestlers are our own worst enemies. We're pretty closed minded on many things about our sport. This would not have any large scale negative affect on our sport in my opinion. I don't buy the finger problems as most rooms are full of kids practicing in shorts/shirts/sweatshirts and finger issues are rare at best.

One big reason I'd like to see it tried is so we could finally put the issue to rest. If we try it and it doesn't seem to help numbers and people continue to hate it, then we can always take it out as an option and change it back. And I'm sure most already know but FILA is in the midst of changing the singlet as well, not sure what they are coming up with but it is in the works.

I'm one that is all for it. I'm as old school as anyone and prefer the singlet but I think it's time we try the idea on a larger scale. I say allow it as an option. In the end I don't think it would replace the singlet, just gives those kids starting out in the sport a different option. I think most of the people completely opposed to the idea are those that are not on the front lines trying to recruit kids at the middle school and high school levels. It's easy to be opposed to the idea if you're a former wrestler or fan, concerned about the pride and tradition of the singlet. I get that and agree. But society has changed, you may not want to believe it but kids don't even want to give our sport a shot because of the singlet. They also "claim" they would give the sport a shot if they were allowed to wear something like what FLO is trying to use in their event. Now who knows, obviously not all of them will actually do it but I honestly think it would open the door for some who are hesitant because of it. It IS no doubt a factor in kids not giving wrestling a try. I believe this because I'm trying to recruit them every year.

Sometimes I feel like we as wrestlers/former wrestlers are our own worst enemies. We're pretty closed minded on many things about our sport. This would not have any large scale negative affect on our sport in my opinion. I don't buy the finger problems as most rooms are full of kids practicing in shorts/shirts/sweatshirts and finger issues are rare at best.

One big reason I'd like to see it tried is so we could finally put the issue to rest. If we try it and it doesn't seem to help numbers and people continue to hate it, then we can always take it out as an option and change it back. And I'm sure most already know but FILA is in the midst of changing the singlet as well, not sure what they are coming up with but it is in the works.

I agree with you 100% - this change would be super positive for recruiting kids - you have to think in terms of someone who has no orientation to the sport and the parents have no orientation to the sport. The singlet is a big turn off.

Have any of you been to a kids wrestling tournament in the last 5-10 years? Kids are running around in their singlet all day. I think the singlet issue is just an excuse for those who don't want to work hard. Do you hear potential swimmers saying they don't want to try out for the swim/dive team because of the speedo? I haven't heard that yet for the swim/dive team. What about girls volleyball? Have you seen what they wear? Also, flowrestling did a whole series of "bulging" where they would run around town in their singlet and encourage others to do the same and send in their videos. It went viral...fast. Kids weren't afraid to run around town, grocery stores, schools, yet they are afraid to step on the mat with a singlet?

I can’t speak for MLBRUEM but yes I’ve been to kids tournaments the past 4 or 5 years every dang weekend…lol Add in I grew up wrestling in them and yes, there are kids running around all day in singlets. These are the exact kids we ARE NOT talking about. Most little kids like that don’t have any issues with a singlet, they are too young and haven’t developed the self-consciousness to even worry about it. Most of the older kids there grew up wearing them so it’s no big deal to them.

Again, we are not talking about kids that grow up “on the circuit” of LL wrestling (at least I’m not). I’m speaking of trying to recruit middle school and high school kids that have never given it a try before. Now I’m sure there are some that use that excuse just to get away from the whole “working hard” part of it (high school kids more so). But I honestly feel the vast majority of middle school kids are not “scared” away from the hard work part of it at that point.

And on that point. I think that’s just another way we as a wrestling community turn some people off with our sport. We go around boasting or are the first ones to pipe up about how “hard” our sport is. It’s a natural turn off to people. Hell yes we know it’s tough, most definitely the toughest hs sport out there but we don’t have to go around “bragging” about it all the time. Kind of like the idea of if you’re “tough” or good at something you don’t have to brag….people already know and will respect it.

I wonder what the wrestlers were saying when they moved to “uniforms” instead of wrestling naked like they originally did in the Olympics? You think there were people who were against that as well? I can see the exact same argument coming from some people, “these guys just don’t want to work hard, if they can’t handle wrestling naked then “F” them, they don’t deserve to be a part of our great sport.”

FYI...this was CARDSFSC..had to change the name.

I’m speaking of trying to recruit middle school and high school kids that have never given it a try before.

My school's #1 sport is swimming/diving. The coach has no problem at all recruiting kids to wear speedos. We also have a very successful track team, who wear singlets. We have over 75 kids out for 9-12 track. Our girls volleyball team wears spandex shorts that some would say are too short, but year after year we have multiple teams. We will be implementing water polo in the next 2 years and guess what - they will wear the same uniform as swimming and we have had an enormous demand for it. Maybe my school district is different?

Well I'm guessing it is very different as it sounds like yours is a very large district not to mention one that has a very successful sports culture. You bring up good points on some of the other sports but I think what makes it different is that those sports aren't "rolling around" with each other. I've never been at a school district that has swimming, diving, or water polo so I have no experience with how tough the recruiting is on that front. I think I may contact a few schools that do have them and see if those coaches have any problems with recruitment and if the speedo is a factor. My initial thought is they have the same problems (but on a little lesser scale) with "new" kids, I doubt they have to fight it with kids that have grown up on a swim team their whole lives.

In my opinion, the bottom line is there is a "stigma" associated with the singlet when you're talking to people that are new to the sport. I honestly don't know if this "new uniform" will help grow the sport or not but I absolutely don't feel it would have any negative effect on it, thus I'd like to see it as an option. If it doesn't help then the change back would be an easy one and to be honest, if it's just an option then no change would be needed as everyone can just continue to wear singlets.

On a side note. I noticed both Ruth and Herbert weren't wearing singlets in the match tonight, haven't seen the Honeycutt/Caldwell match.

Here's my story. I never wrestled. My brother was 4 years older than myself and was a state champion and multi time placer. Wrestling coaches hounded me weekly all year round to wrestle. I hated wrestling with a passion at that time. I went on to play DII baseball. Baseball was my sport, wrestling was my brothers. Everyone knew that except for the wrestling coaches who would hound me in class, in the hallway, in the weight room....everywhere. My excuse to them was I didn't want to wear a singlet. It was a running joke among my friends, final count 8 of us went on to play sports in college, was to tell the wrestling coach we didn't want to wear a singlet. Why? Because that was the one thing they could not change, thus, it was our excuse to get them off our ass. It's 2015. We have openly gay kids in schools today and kids wear pretty much anything. Not wanting to wear a singlet was our excuse to get an overbearing coach off our ass.

Honesty appreciate the perspective Curveball. I have no doubt there are more stories and obviously many that use the singlet excuse just as you did, more power to you. And honestly the amount of kids that try the sport with the change may be minimal, I'd just like to see us try it and see how things go. Would it hurt the sport to try? Is there a possibility that it could help?

I for one would just like an attempt at the option to see if it has any impact on numbers or support for our sport.

For what it's worth, I was speaking with a woman with no wrestling background just today. She said her son was not going to play little league football (3rd or 4th grader), I told her that it wasn't a major deal. Her son was a natural and that he could pick it up later if his interest was there. I then suggested that wrestling was a good sport that correlated well with football and might help his overall athletic skills. I swear her direct quote was, "Ya, get them to change the uniform and he might think about it".

• 3 weeks later...

Flag football practice tonight, sixth grade. Topic of wrestling came up, one parent telling me he wanted his son to try wrestling instead of basketball because he thought it'd benefit him more for football. I asked him what was stopping him and he said his son didn't really care for the uniforms. Three parents that were standing around the conversation all made comments that they thought their son's would try it if it weren't for the singlets. I immediately asked if they thought the uniform really was a problem with recruiting. Everyone of them said they thought it was, heck even the parents said they had at least a slight reservation towards the singlet. I asked what they thought of the fight shorts/compression shirt idea, each one of them said they thought it'd help a lot. I'm becoming more and more convinced an option should be available.

I apologize for bringing the subject up again but I think it's a serious issue that could have a positive result.

• 11 months later...

I saw that article too, man that guy did his best to make the guys look as bad as possible. I don't think the ears are as big as the weight cutting or singlet issue, never had a kid or parent mention the ears as why their son doesn't wrestle. Most of the time if it does come up they are more interested in how it happens.