just curious - Mauller a great wrestler with few pins. Others?

So, per wrestlestat, Brock Mauller is 61-6 in two years of wrestling at Mizzou including a fantastic 28-1 record this year.

But out of two years, he only has one fall (in the NCAAs last year against Northern Iowa's Max Thomsen). That strikes me as odd, but I wasn't sure whether it was or not.

Have there been other All American-caliber wrestlers at Mizzou that have had so very few falls?

Edited by Joedog3
2 hours ago, Joedog3 said:

So, per wrestlestat, Brock Mauller is 61-6 in two years of wrestling at Mizzou including a fantastic 28-1 record this year.

But out of two years, he only has one fall (in the NCAAs last year against Northern Iowa's Max Thomsen). That strikes me as odd, but I wasn't sure whether it was or not.

Have there been other All American-caliber wrestlers at Mizzou that have had so very few falls?

I'm a big fan of Mauller, but it seems like he's not a big bonus point wrestler in general. Even against lower ranked competition, he'll eek out a win by 1 or 2 points. 

1 hour ago, MLBRUEM said:

He is purely a counter wrestler who has no go to move of any kind. He depends on his opponent to make a mistake and then he capitalizes and

stalls out the match. That being said JUST WIN BABY JUST WIN!

If he and Sasso meet at AAs might be a 1-0 match 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, MLBRUEM said:

He is purely a counter wrestler who has no go to move of any kind. He depends on his opponent to make a mistake and then he capitalizes and

stalls out the match. That being said JUST WIN BABY JUST WIN!

I kind of agree with this statement. I think he is definitely more comfortable as a counter wrester. But I think he has a lot of go to moves that he just just doesn't  use. Why is that is my question? Why is a kid and not only Mauller, but why do these kids have a fear of opening up. I hear Smith talk about this all the time. He sees it and must talk about it with them. But I think and hope it is just part of a young kids development. I heard a person at MACs say, that if Mauller opens up he can beat anyone in the country. I agree with this statement. His post match statements makes me feel like he knows it also, and at NCAA's he will let it fly.

4 hours ago, Shute33 said:

I kind of agree with this statement. I think he is definitely more comfortable as a counter wrester. But I think he has a lot of go to moves that he just just doesn't  use. Why is that is my question? Why is a kid and not only Mauller, but why do these kids have a fear of opening up. I hear Smith talk about this all the time. He sees it and must talk about it with them. But I think and hope it is just part of a young kids development. I heard a person at MACs say, that if Mauller opens up he can beat anyone in the country. I agree with this statement. His post match statements makes me feel like he knows it also, and at NCAA's he will let it fly.

At NCAA's he is much more likely to be as conservative as ever - definitely do not see him opening up in that environment  - could happen but not likely.