Jump to content

just curious - Mauller a great wrestler with few pins. Others?


Recommended Posts

So, per wrestlestat, Brock Mauller is 61-6 in two years of wrestling at Mizzou including a fantastic 28-1 record this year.

But out of two years, he only has one fall (in the NCAAs last year against Northern Iowa's Max Thomsen). That strikes me as odd, but I wasn't sure whether it was or not.

Have there been other All American-caliber wrestlers at Mizzou that have had so very few falls?

Edited by Joedog3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joedog3 said:

So, per wrestlestat, Brock Mauller is 61-6 in two years of wrestling at Mizzou including a fantastic 28-1 record this year.

But out of two years, he only has one fall (in the NCAAs last year against Northern Iowa's Max Thomsen). That strikes me as odd, but I wasn't sure whether it was or not.

Have there been other All American-caliber wrestlers at Mizzou that have had so very few falls?

I'm a big fan of Mauller, but it seems like he's not a big bonus point wrestler in general. Even against lower ranked competition, he'll eek out a win by 1 or 2 points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLBRUEM said:

He is purely a counter wrestler who has no go to move of any kind. He depends on his opponent to make a mistake and then he capitalizes and

stalls out the match. That being said JUST WIN BABY JUST WIN!

If he and Sasso meet at AAs might be a 1-0 match 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MLBRUEM said:

He is purely a counter wrestler who has no go to move of any kind. He depends on his opponent to make a mistake and then he capitalizes and

stalls out the match. That being said JUST WIN BABY JUST WIN!

I kind of agree with this statement. I think he is definitely more comfortable as a counter wrester. But I think he has a lot of go to moves that he just just doesn't  use. Why is that is my question? Why is a kid and not only Mauller, but why do these kids have a fear of opening up. I hear Smith talk about this all the time. He sees it and must talk about it with them. But I think and hope it is just part of a young kids development. I heard a person at MACs say, that if Mauller opens up he can beat anyone in the country. I agree with this statement. His post match statements makes me feel like he knows it also, and at NCAA's he will let it fly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shute33 said:

I kind of agree with this statement. I think he is definitely more comfortable as a counter wrester. But I think he has a lot of go to moves that he just just doesn't  use. Why is that is my question? Why is a kid and not only Mauller, but why do these kids have a fear of opening up. I hear Smith talk about this all the time. He sees it and must talk about it with them. But I think and hope it is just part of a young kids development. I heard a person at MACs say, that if Mauller opens up he can beat anyone in the country. I agree with this statement. His post match statements makes me feel like he knows it also, and at NCAA's he will let it fly.

At NCAA's he is much more likely to be as conservative as ever - definitely do not see him opening up in that environment  - could happen but not likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...