Sign in to follow this  
MatHound

Reduce the Number of Weight Classes in High School

There is no doubt participation in wrestling continues to decline - easily proven by the number of entries in major tournaments in the last few years.  Harder to prove but definitely witnessed is the continual decline in the quality of wrestling.

Of course this issue can be quit subjective.  Besides what coaches tell me about their squads, examine the win/loss records of the seeded wrestlers in districts to make this more objective.

For instance in CL3/D2, the number of losses of the top two seeds keeps climbing year to year. Look at these weight classes for how high these losses are in 2020:

- - - - Top Two Seeds - - - -
Weight      Losses     Wins (exclude forfeits)

106 30         45

113               31          41

132             28 49

These are only a few examples in just one district that immediately got my attention.  Some weight classes have only eight or nine entries.  One bracket in another district examined had only five entries.

The need to reduce the number of weight classes in order to create a more competitive brackets is becoming more obvious.

Make it easier for the parents/fans to know the weight classes!  How about 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 175, 195, 220, 285?

6 hours ago, MatHound said:
There is no doubt participation in wrestling continues to decline - easily proven by the number of entries in major tournaments in the last few years.  Harder to prove but definitely witnessed is the continual decline in the quality of wrestling.

Of course this issue can be quit subjective.  Besides what coaches tell me about their squads, examine the win/loss records of the seeded wrestlers in districts to make this more objective.

For instance in CL3/D2, the number of losses of the top two seeds keeps climbing year to year. Look at these weight classes for how high these losses are in 2020:

- - - - Top Two Seeds - - - -
Weight      Losses     Wins (exclude forfeits)

106 30         45

113               31          41

132             28 49

These are only a few examples in just one district that immediately got my attention.  Some weight classes have only eight or nine entries.  One bracket in another district examined had only five entries.

The need to reduce the number of weight classes in order to create a more competitive brackets is becoming more obvious.

Make it easier for the parents/fans to know the weight classes!  How about 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 175, 195, 220, 285?

You are way to loaded on the big kid end these are the hardest weights to fill.

Why reduce weight classes?  Keep the weight classes and reduce the number of state tournaments. Go to one class for individual State. Do the divisions for a dual state. MSHSAA can sponsor it. The argument that MSHSAA can’t have multiple championships is bunk since they added a girls division. A team can win two championships in the same sport now that they have a girls division. One of the reasons they said they couldn’t support a dual state is because they couldn’t give out an additional state championship in the same sport. Proven to not be true when they added girls as a division instead of a new sport.

This would also alleviate the problem of not having enough mat space to run the state tournament when the girls division splits. I would also be in favor of two state tournaments with 32 SQ and 8 state placers for both the girls and boys. Have 2/3 qualifying events. 

7 hours ago, Warren Haynes said:

By not allowing girls to wrestle in the boy’s district tournaments, it’s the same as girls and boys basketball. 

And basically every other sport - it just makes sense especially in wrestling

Let me clarify. 

I wholly support women’s wrestling and think it may save wrestling as a sport. Women's wrestling should have been added as a new sport. However, MSHSAA wanted it to happen more quickly and instead of adding a sport they added a division. I believe it was well intentioned. Unfortunately, they did not realize the impact it would have on coaches. Work for some coaches almost doubled overnight. There are a lot of programs that still do not have a stipend to support the girls. The positive of adding it as a division is that you already have all the structures in place to support. The negative is that in most cases, your existing coaches just absorbed a lot more work. 

When we used to argue for a Dual State, one of the main stumbling blocks was that MSHSAA could not give out multiple state trophies for the same sport. MSHSAA has proven that not to be true due to the fact that a team could win a trophy in the girls and boys divisions. 

I think duals are the best way to sell our sport to wider audiences. It’s a lot easier for a fan of a program to watch a dual or two than to sit in a field house and watch 18 hours of wrestling. I also think the excitement of a good dual is better than watching a tournament finals. I can on like this for a long time but those are my general thoughts. 

I would agree with you if the general quality of high school wrestling had not deteriorated to the point that it has. Most duals

are extremely boring these days with many opens and under prepared wrestlers. Coaching also contributes to most duals being

anticlimactic as they will hold out wrestlers to avoid losses and or shift wrestlers to avoid premier matchups.

I could be totally off on this one but I sort of think it’s a sign of the times.  Let’s be honest, wrestling is an extremely tough sport.  You have to have a certain amount of “want too”.  By that I mean you want to push yourself, want to see where you stack up against your peers, want to have a lifestyle that is conducive to meeting your goals; which is hopefully to be the best you can be, etc., etc..  Anyway I don’t see much of those characteristics in young people today.  As a society we have gotten soft and are getting softer.  Just opinion. 

• Like 1