Would it not make more sense to start it at the 7th grade  level and then proceed to implement it slowly over a few years.  It seems like this could be a problem with how the womens collegiate wrestling is freestyle.  Why would we not mirror that?   The numbers at freestyle state only took 2 mats.   logistics, coaching staffs already stretched, and many other thoughts.  Plus some crazy things can happen when a girl is very skilled and the other girl is not. They have to  learn how to fall correctly.  Do they know expectations should be the same.  Great idea to start it, but think it through. They could have a trial run this year,  to an extent and really check the interest level after the first couple of tournaments.  I have a feeling Wal Mart prices and the true price of wrestling may fall off  pretty fast after the first split lip, black eye, etc... The girls who are involved already, who showed an interest already know what the costs are.    

9 minutes ago, papabear said:

Would it not make more sense to start it at the 7th grade  level and then proceed to implement it slowly over a few years.  It seems like this could be a problem with how the womens collegiate wrestling is freestyle.  Why would we not mirror that?   The numbers at freestyle state only took 2 mats.   logistics, coaching staffs already stretched, and many other thoughts.  Plus some crazy things can happen when a girl is very skilled and the other girl is not. They have to  learn how to fall correctly.  Do they know expectations should be the same.  Great idea to start it, but think it through. They could have a trial run this year,  to an extent and really check the interest level after the first couple of tournaments.  I have a feeling Wal Mart prices and the true price of wrestling may fall off  pretty fast after the first split lip, black eye, etc... The girls who are involved already, who showed an interest already know what the costs are.    

Haters, man....

I don't see how teaching new girls technique and "properly" falling is any different than a first year boy that comes out. Split lip, black eye etc...? No different than if it happened playing softball or soccer or even cheer leading.  Educate parents and wrestlers and minimize those issues.  As a head coach I am preparing to have an assistant coach cover girls events and I will look to split time.  The key is not treating one as more important than the other. Embrace the change. I personally believe that woman's wrestling is going to help save a lot of college programs as we move forward. 

• Like 2

With the addition of female wrestling, what are some names of the top female wrestlers in MO and what schools will they or do they attend? Anyone care to do rankings at each weight? I have only seen a few names over the last year, but I’m sure there are more. Vallaroy, Olsen, Flanagen, Fuller and Rush.

18 hours ago, spartanfan01 said:

With the addition of female wrestling, what are some names of the top female wrestlers in MO and what schools will they or do they attend? Anyone care to do rankings at each weight? I have only seen a few names over the last year, but I’m sure there are more. Vallaroy, Olsen, Flanagen, Fuller and Rush.

Carly Valleroy is currently a senior. 

Last year Missouri had 9 All-Americans:

Cadet Freestyle Girls
2nd: Ryan Schlereth (Hancock)
3rd: Jaycee Foeller (De Soto)
3rd: Mary Harrell (Macon)
4th: Brook-Lynn Rush (St. Joseph Benton)
5th: Autumn Flanigan (Troy Buchanan)
6th: Emma Cole (Lafayette)
6th: Jazzmine Seely (Waynesville)
8th: Emalie Olson (Kearney)

JR Freestyle Girls
8th: Samantha Apple (Mehlville)

Other names to watch are Nonnie Justice (Harrisonville), Justice Seely (Waynesville), Belle Harrell (Macon), Tess Kinne (Fort Osage)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...