Twitter

Looking for some information from the wrestling community.

How many of you out there have a Twitter account set up for your High School wrestling team?

If so does it run through the school? and who post information?

Is it beneficial?

Thanks

I am an assistant at Grain Valley and I use my personal account primarily for wrestling related communication. It's an easy way to alert kids/parents of important/new info. Most sports teams at our school have a twitter account that is run by a coach.

We also have a facebook team page that parents/kids can "like". This is another good way to get your message out to a mass audience.

Be careful. Some schools do not allow teachers to communicate with students via twitter or facebook. My school has rules against that communication. I am sure with proper planning a parent or booster member could create those and use them to communicate with students.

Looking for some information from the wrestling community.

How many of you out there have a Twitter account set up for your High School wrestling team?

If so does it run through the school? and who post information?

Is it beneficial?

Thanks

Westminster has an account, @WCA_Wrestling, that has been well received by our community. As preceptor noted, you need to do some advance planning before just launching an account.

1. check with your AD and/or school administration to confirm any school policies regarding social media.

2. Westminster has a parent do the "tweeting". Especially during tournaments or duals, this works great to get "real time" updates out to our community. Districts and State last year were a lot of fun.

3. Have a plan on how you want to use it, and plan on tweeting with some regularity. It's like any other form of communication...if you want people to pay attention to it, you have to give them a reason to do so. Consistency and the perceived value of your content is important.

4. We try to promote the school and the accomplishments of other Westminster teams at times, especially when we are out of season. It helps build community, and hopefully garner interest in and support for the wrestling program.

5. We don't use it as a replacement for email or phone calls, but I guess depending on your group of families, you could. We push out reminders about upcoming matches, parent meetings, etc., but it's as a supplement to other tools, not a replacement.

good luck!

Thanks for the great information. We have already gotten approval from the AD and Superintentent to move forward. Just looking for ideas such as these to be totally prepared when we launch.

Really looking for a way to keep our fan base informed and reach out to our alums.

Thanks Again and keep the suggestions coming.

Sam