Marshall, Mo. (Jan. 30, 2020)- The Missouri Valley College women’s wrestling team comes in at No. 15 in the latest NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll, released Thursday.
The Vikings dropped one spot in the coaches’ poll from the previous rankings, which were released earlier this month. This month, the Vikings competed at the NWCA National Duals, dropping matches against No. 5 University of Providence (Mont.), No. 9 Lyon (Ark.) College and No. 11 Midland (Neb.) University.
Missouri Valley is one of five teams from the KCAC ranked in the new coaches’ poll. Midland is ranked No. 11, York (Neb.) College is No. 14, University of St. Mary (Kan.) is No. 16 and Ottawa (Kan.) University is No. 19.
In addition to the National ranking, six individuals are ranked in their respective weight classes. Leading the individual rankings is No. 9 Freshman Shar Whitten (St. Joseph, Mo.) at 123 pounds. Other Vikings ranked include:
- No. 15 Senior Gabrielle Grimes (Archie, Mo.) at 116 pounds.
- No. 11 Sophomore Jocelyn Murphy (Jacksonville, Ill.) at 130 pounds.
- No. 12 Freshman Brooke-Lynn Rush (St. Joseph, Mo.) at 155 pounds
- No. 14 Freshman Danielle Saldivar (El Paso, Texas) at 170 pounds.
- No. 11 Sophomore Mahealani Ramirez (Aiea, Hawaii) at 191 pounds.
The Viking women’s wrestling team will be in action Friday at the Spires Open, hosted by St. Mary, in Leavenworth, Kan.