Since high school girls wrestlers got their own division in 2019 in the state of Missouri, one team has dominated.
The Lebanon girls wrestling team has one three out of the first four state championships. The program has become a dynasty and still are the favorite to win the Class 2 title as the Yellowjackets are ranked as the No. 1 team according to the MissouriWrestling.com poll.
Is there a team that could challenge them for a state championship? Well, Liberty could be that team.
The Blue Jays showed why in Saturday’s Class 2 District 4 Tournament at Platte County High School. They qualified seven out of their eight wrestlers who competed at the tournament, including three who won their weight class.
- Blue Springs South’s Killian Evans (100)
- Liberty’s Lilly Breeden (100)
- Blue Springs South’s Gabby Hampton (105)
- Fort Osage’s Aroma Marrufo (110)
- Park Hill South’s Aniya Coleman (100)
- Park Hill’s Angelina Vargas (115)
- Liberty’s Julia Breeden (120)
- Park Hill’s Allison Gonier (120)
- Platte County’s EmmaLyn Burnett (125)
- Winnetonka’s Bailey Sontag (125)
- Blue Springs’ Mady Banker (130)
- Raytown’s Amaya Johnson (130)
- Grain Valley’s Sevreign Aumua (140)
- Park Hill’s Rylin Beatty (135)
- Park Hill South’s Maddie Kubicki (145)
- Fort Osage’s Hailey Ward (155)
- Fort Osage’s Kayleigh McGrath (140)
- Fort Osage’s Bailey Wood (170)
- North Kansas City’s Paige Strauch (170)
- Oak Park’s Chloe Allison (190)
- Oak Park’s Neveah Wardlow (170)
- William Chrisman’s Kiara Boldridge (235)
- Liberty’s Sandy Breeden (105)
- Grain Valley’s Jayden Moehle (235)
Liberty finished first as a team in districts with 134 points. Park Hill was second with 114 and Fort Osage was third with 112.
“It feels really good because the past two years, we have only had two girls make it to state,” Liberty freshman Sandy Breeden said. “So having seven makes a big difference and is a big accomplishment from last year.”
Leading the way for the Blue Jays were the Breeden sisters. Lilly (100), Sandy (105) and Julia (120)Breeden all won their weight divisions and Jaden (110) finished second in her bracket. Other Liberty wrestlers to qualify were Alexis Stinton (235, third), Alexis Ritchie (115, fourth) and Isabelle Tali (170, fourth)….