For the first time this season, the girls wrestling division is split into two classes.
That will give some teams in Class 1 a chance to compete for a team state title without having to face the Lebanon dynasty that has won three out of the last four state titles.
After Wednesday’s Day 1 of the Class 1 Missouri State High School Girls Wrestling Championships, there are four teams in contention for first place. Cassville and Holden are tied for first with 38 points each. Brookfield and Kearney are tied for third with 36 each. And Odessa is just outside the top four as it is fifth with 32 points.
- Sullivan’s Dorie Richardson (140)
- Herculaneum’s Eddyson Reeves (130)
- Jefferson City’s Alexis Dunwiddie (130)
- Kearney’s Savannah McDowell (120)
- DeSoto’s Ella Bradley (155)
- Wright City’s Caelyn Hanff (170)
- Sikeston’s Alayna Ray (235)
- Eldon’s Sydney Searcy (235)
- Marshall’s Milandi Linares (100)
- St. Joseph Lafayette’s Makenna Alden (100)
- Monett’s Jenna Spencer (115)
- Marshfield’s Macie James (120)
- Brookfield’s Mya Sackrey (140)
- Reeds Spring’s Blaikelee Cagle (170)
- St. Clair’s Josie Hopkins (135)
The Class 1 teams completed three wrestleback rounds and the first two rounds Wednesday at Mizzou Arena in Columbia. The semifinal and championship matches will be wrestled today.
Below is a breakdown of who made the semifinals in each weight bracket and who will face off in that round.
100: Festus sophomore Mya Hairston earned a pair of pins, including one against Kaiden Conard of El Dorado Springs to make her way to the semifinals. On Friday, Hairston will face off against Savannah freshman Jade Brundige, who pinned Marceline’s Maddie Dauber in the quarterfinals.
In the other semifinal, Tipton’s Rachel Loganbill will take on Lone Jack senior Emma Lewis. Lewis took a 9-1 decision against Makenna Alden of St. Joseph Lafayette. Loganbill won her second round match by fall in 3:32 vs. Center senior Asha Pearson….