kids that quit

Is Waynesville even ranked in the top 10 in the state?

What kind of question is this? Look at the rankings you jive turkey! I don't know what that has to do with the thread but all you have to do is click on that little box that says RANKINGS. WOW maybe grades and lack of knowledge is a reason to quit something while you're ahead.

This thread started off on how could parents let their kid quit halfway through the season. My point is (for example) if a couple of varsity wrestlers quit the team right before the Conference Tourney, there has to be more to it. Thats something the A.D. needs to look into. :roll: Don`t blame the parents without first looking at the program.

Is Waynesville even ranked in the top 10 in the state?

What kind of question is this? Look at the rankings you jive turkey! I don't know what that has to do with the thread but all you have to do is click on that little box that says RANKINGS. WOW maybe grades and lack of knowledge is a reason to quit something while you're ahead.

It isn't on there.

This thread started off on how could parents let their kid quit halfway through the season. My point is (for example) if a couple of varsity wrestlers quit the team right before the Conference Tourney' date=' there has to be more to it. Thats something the A.D. needs to look into. :roll: Don`t blame the parents without first looking at the program.[/quote']

Why would there have to be more to it? One quitter, quits, another quitter see that the other quitter quit so he quits also. It's really pretty simple, he did it so I will too mentality.

If expecting the kids to work hard every day at practice and put forth the effort needed on and off the mat like all your teammates are putting forth, it might be the program. If the coach is available for you to workout with throughtout the summer and coach you at local and nationals events in the off season because he is that dedicated to the sport and to wanting to see you succeessed in the sport then you might be right, it just might be the program. If the coach pulls strings to get you in to camps in and out of the state so that you can get better, could it be the program. Nah, I don't think it's the programs fault. There is really no one to blame, but the quitters

If you take sports from a kid making bad grades' date=' what does that teach him? That if life get's tough someone will take away some of the pressure? This may be the biggest type of structure your child is getting. I just can't see the reasoning. If you take sports from them, they just might have too much time on their hand and end up getting in a little trouble. To me sports was the only reason I went to school. I wish I would have cared more about real learning but I didn't. I still had a B average...that's how easy high school is![/quote']

First it teaches him that grades are more important than sports. A pretty simple but very important concept. The reasoning is that an education is necessary, sports are not. If sports were the only reason you went to school you learned a very bad lesson. If I thought for an instant that a sport was interfering with my child's education I'd jerk him out of the line immediately. They are called "extra-curricular activities" for a reason. They attend school to get an education, the rest is superfluous. Many educators, parents, coaches and administrators sometime lose track of that.

You commented that many students from your school have attended USMA or the Naval Academy. I am positive that those students or their parents didn't settle for a B average. If mine were making B's you can bet he wouldn't be wrestling, he'd be at a learning center after school and at his desk after supper.

That being said, so long as it was not interfering with school he would not be allowed to quit on his own volition once he had started the season. Once you make a commitment you have to stick with it. Parenting is all about teaching them how to make the right decisions.