Stalling at State

I have a question. I'm sure it has been hashed out before but I would like to see some opinions. There is a lot of talk about "taking shots" or not taking shots and getting hit with stalling. And I have read in the officials magazine that one way to be consistent with stalling calls is to "count shots". However, shots aren't the only legal takedowns. Some wrestlers are more gifted with other syles of wrestling. I know of some state champs who would not have made on "shots" alone. So what justifies all the emphasis on shots as they pertain to the stalling calls? I realize shots are what some call "high percentage moves" but they are not the only legal style of wrestling. Maybe we could have a double leg takedown state tournament. Thoughts?

Well the way I see it a shot has to be set up and if the other wrestlers defense is really good maybe it will take a while to do that or maybe none of your leg attacks will work and you have to wait to get the guy on the mat in the second or third period. There are other wrestlers who like to set up a throw. I don't see why a wrestler should be forced to take a bad shot or attempt an off balance throw just to appease the ref.

Come on refs can't you see the majority of Missouri fans, coaches and wrestlers are tired of this baloney. Give the fist a rest.

I also heard N. Rallo is going to try to break his all-time record of 2' date='009 stall calls in one state tournament.[/quote']

Is that "Stands with a Fist" Rallo or "The Count of Monte Fisto" Rallo? I get them all mixed up.

Senior is "The Count of Monte Fisto" and Pee Wee is "Stands With A Fist".

Exactly' date=' many kids have great moves such as duck unders or PA's these need time to set up succesfully[/quote']

I agree, and just because a duck under or a throw by is stopped by good defense, does not mean there was not an attempt at offense. Just because a wrestler does not finish a move, does not mean he is stalling. Too many refs think people are at state to watch them. It is the quiet refs that people don't remember well that are the good ones. That sucks to say. But, that is how it is supposed to be. You shouldn't remember anything a ref does, just the wrestlers.

I watched the Division I Dual team nationals and saw Matt Zeits officiate. He shows he can be a great official. I just wonder why the these officials don't hit the big time NCAA guys for stalling 2-3 times a match. Lord knows college wrestlers are the most conservative there are (and you have to be if you ever want to win anything). I guess it would take a lot of guts to make that call in a big time Div I match!!

Maybe all HS coaches should get a Cael Sanderson, John Smith, or Tom Brands mask to wear. This intimidation may be just what it takes to keep them from robbing the kids. If you can't beat 'em....scare 'em.

I watched the Division I Dual team nationals and saw Matt Zeits officiate. He shows he can be a great official. I just wonder why the these officials don't hit the big time NCAA guys for stalling 2-3 times a match. Lord knows college wrestlers are the most conservative there are (and you have to be if you ever want to win anything). I guess it would take a lot of guts to make that call in a big time Div I match!!

Maybe all HS coaches should get a Cael Sanderson, John Smith, or Tom Brands mask to wear. This intimidation may be just what it takes to keep them from robbing the kids. If you can't beat 'em....scare 'em.

do you know where i can get one of thoe masks by tomorrow 8)

We shouldn't have robots as refs, but all the refs need to be consistent. That is the only problem I have seen this year. It is actually a little better then in the past years. other then the inconsistencies between the refs on the stall calls.

Just getting back from state, I would have to say overall the reffing was good. The disappointing part is some of them want to be part of the match. Many were watching the clock and the score and were too quick to call stalemates to give the person behind a chance for victory. I saw multiple stalemates with both wrestlers on their feet and they were not even tied up. Can someone enlighten me how it is a stalemate when the wrestlers are not even in contact with each other.