slideby

State Tournament recommendations: MSHSAA Please listen

1)  The ticket line on Thursday morning is ridiculous... I'm sure many parents missed the grand march... the line was 80 yards long... this is typical for MSHSAA the state cross country was almost as bad.

2)  Friday sucks as a spectator- its too long...... one semi finals match at a time is like watching grass grow.... you are not going to get the average fan now a days to sit through it.  Learn from MLB  they are trying ways to shorten the game not make it longer.

3)  Please add 

Edited by slideby
change a word

#2 is just the way it has to be conducted. MSHSAA is in a tough spot. They are running five tournaments concurrently and all classes are together in the arena (minus girls) starting with the evening session on Friday. The only change could be to run the semis first and then the blood round, or vice versa.

One way they could maybe do it for Friday is this way

8:30 till 11:30  - Class 1 & 2 - Quarter Finals and 2nd Round wrestlebacks

11:45 till 1:00 - Girls - Quarter Finals and 2nd Round wrestlebacks

1:15 till 4:30 - Class 3 & 4 - Quarter Finals and 2nd Round wrestlebacks

5:00 - 6:00 - Girls Semifinals and 3rd Round Wrestlebacks

6:00 till 8:00 - Class 1 & Class 2 Semifinals and 3rd Round Wrestlebacks

8:00 till 10:00 - Class 3 & 4 Semifinals and 3rd Round Wrestlebacks

Give each class (sans girls) A little break to get food and go to the hotel. 

or Run 3rd Round Wrestlebacks at 6:00 & Semifinals at 8:00

On 2/26/2020 at 9:46 AM, slideby said:

1)  The ticket line on Thursday morning is ridiculous... I'm sure many parents missed the grand march... the line was 80 yards long... this is typical for MSHSAA the state cross country was almost as bad.

2)  Friday sucks as a spectator- its too long...... one semi finals match at a time is like watching grass grow.... you are not going to get the average fan now a days to sit through it.  Learn from MLB  they are trying ways to shorten the game not make it longer.

3)  Please add 

Just go back to 3 Classes.

Not unreasonable considering :  1) half empty District Brackets,  2) multiple losing records qualifying for State, 3) a huge percentage of Falls in the 1st Round

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Just go back to 3 Classes.

Not unreasonable considering :  1) half empty District Brackets,  2) multiple losing records qualifying for State, 3) a huge percentage of Falls in the 1st Round

2 Classes

32 man brackets (so there is the same number of state qualifiers)

8 medalists per weight

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Warren Haynes said:

2 Classes

32 man brackets (so there is the same number of state qualifiers)

8 medalists per weight

I actually prefer this model over 3 Classes but thought I would get too much "pushback" if I suggested that approach.

I wrestled with a 2 Class system (single elimination - glad this has changed).  There were "close to full" District brackets & an additional Sectional match after Districts just to qualify for State.  It was rare to qualify with a losing record & 1st Round Falls at State were not not common (a reflection on the lack of depth of quality).  It actually meant something to be a State Qualifier & was really tough to be a State Medalist.

I get that every wrestler, parent & coach wants all kids to go to State.  But, IMO it has really "cheapened" the entire State Tournament. And, what is this event intended to represent ?  I think we have lost sight of that.

Your idea (or) reverting back to 3 Classes would restore the State Tournament to a meaningful level of "accomplishment" and would remedy the complaints of the original poster.

I used to really anticipate the State Tournament, not so much anymore based on the above.  I am sure my opinion is in the "minority".

Edited by Show_Me

Create a better product/Save Time/Improve Quality by

1. 3 classes (make sure that Cl 4 & Cl 3 have 16 teams each, all other schools put in one class)

2. 10 weight brackets