Sign in to follow this  
Louden

Best first and second year wrestlers ever?

Who began wrestling in High School without ANY youth experience and did the best in their first and second year?

For example, Steve Smith (of Marquette?) took 6th his first year of wrestling.

Josh Buchanan (Farmington) took 2nd his 2nd year wrestling.

What others?

Part social media influencer, part marketing guru and full on fatty with an insatiable appetite.
Kasim it's like awesome but with a K foodstagrammer, food stylist & marketing guru
Part social media influencer, part marketing guru and full on fatty with an insatiable appetite.

Malcolm Crosdale(Ray South 3A) has to be in the mix.  I believe he only wrestled two years and won it his senior year at 275.

I'm not real familiar with the Rockwood Summit team but I think Evan Brooks started wrestling in high school. He won it all last year and placed 3rd in 2018.

Steve Watson of Francis Howell. Freakish athlete. Started wrestling as a Jr, placed as a Sr but can’t remember exactly.

Joey Johnson (Fox) started wrestling as a freshman and was a four time Class 4 State Qualifier at 285 and ended up as a two time medalist. 

7 hours ago, spartanfan01 said:

Steve Watson of Francis Howell. Freakish athlete. Started wrestling as a Jr, placed as a Sr but can’t remember exactly.

I thought he finished runner-up one year...was it to Barker?  My memory isn't great, but I'm almost sure he was a finalist.

Watson took 2nd to Barker in 2000.

I don't think many of the above qualify.  

The criteria mentioned was best first year or 2nd year of wrestling.  Not best wrestlers who had no youth wrestling.  For example, I specifically mentioned Buchanan's 2nd year of wrestling where he took 2nd at State, not his 3rd and 4th years of wrestling where he took 3rd and 1st.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Louden said:

Watson took 2nd to Barker in 2000.

I don't think many of the above qualify.  

The criteria mentioned was best first year or 2nd year of wrestling.  Not best wrestlers who had no youth wrestling.  For example, I specifically mentioned Buchanan's 2nd year of wrestling where he took 2nd at State, not his 3rd and 4th years of wrestling where he took 3rd and 1st.

I'm gonna keep Joey in that list. 14 year old kid, 5' 7", first year wrestling, and a state qualifier at 285. In class 4. 

Is Steve Smith the only one to medal their very first year of wrestling?  We have a few 2nd year wrestlers, but what about first?

I would guess it is more likely to do it in Class 1, which makes it more impressive that Steve Smith did it in the large school class.

Mario Johnson came out halfway through his Junior year and took 4th in State. 

He wrestled a couple matches his senior year and quit. He went on to start 4 years at Mizzou at DT.

Then played like 5 years in the NFL. 

Another one I know of was Ken Jones who came out as a senior and took 2nd in state. 

Miguel Wallace from Berkeley came out as a Junior and Qualified then took 2nd at HWT as a Senior only weighing 202 lbs. 

Cale Garrett only wrestled for one year and lost in his Bubble Match at state his Junior year. He would of definitely medaled his Senior year but graduated at semester to play football at Mizzou.