Based on a proposal at the regional meetings the suggestion is to shorten the season by moving the start date for basketball and wrestling back a week. I'm sure this is a football related move. My AD also mentioned that a small group of AD's from the Kansas City area are also trying to move State up one week in addition to the delayed start. 

It also sounds like the girls' wrestling proposal is kind of a half-way proposal, where girls would compete against boys throughout the year then just have a separate division at districts and state. Personally I think if they implement a girls' division then they should go all the way.

Another thing that would help to increase the likelihood of programs filling a complete, or closer to complete, team would be to follow a few other states and allow 8th graders to wrestle high school. I know Kentucky and Minnesota are two for sure that do but I believe there are others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 2:40 PM, NCMC4life said:

It also sounds like the girls' wrestling proposal is kind of a half-way proposal, where girls would compete against boys throughout the year then just have a separate division at districts and state. Personally I think if they implement a girls' division then they should go all the way.

Do you have some meeting minutes or document to verify this? I see nothing on the MSHSAA website regarding this topic or or on their facebook page.

Thanks in advance.

I seen a potential change for next year being discussed in Minnesota.  Looks like they are considering reducing weight classes for next season.  106 and 195 / 220 have been the most talked about so far.  It does look like this could potentially only effect the regular season.  This was posted here http://forum.theguillotine.com/topic/11058270/1/

I've seen some talk about reducing the number of classes in Missouri.   I hope Missouri doesn't consider reducing weight classes.  Thoughts...

6 minutes ago, Josh McNutt said:

I seen a potential change for next year being discussed in Minnesota.  Looks like they are considering reducing weight classes for next season.  106 and 195 / 220 have been the most talked about so far.  It does look like this could potentially only effect the regular season.  This was posted here http://forum.theguillotine.com/topic/11058270/1/

I've seen some talk about reducing the number of classes in Missouri.   I hope Missouri doesn't consider reducing weight classes.  Thoughts...

I hope not, in fact I would like to see more added. The addition of bringing back 98 and some sort of a catch weight around 245 would be awesome. I know a lot of people will poo poo on the idea because schools already can’t fill full squads. I think following the lead of Minnesota and others and allow 8th graders to compete helps solve that issue. 98 also allows another weight class that girls could come in and be competitive at with boys.