How's the team looking?

So with Mayes at 149 and Lavallee redshirting, what does that look like for the starting lineup?

125: Can Aaron Assad beat Barlow? Is Boomer anywhere near competing for the top spot?

133: Would love to see Clayton go as a true freshman, but doubt that happens. I assume Synon or Quinn Smith here? Any chance Sam Crane can cut to 133?

141: With Mayes out of the picture, does that open up things for Crane/Manley, or do we see Leeth come down to man 141?

149: Mayes

157: Barnes

165: Lewis

174: Butler (I hate to see Johnston lose out on a starting spot his senior year)

184: Miklus

197: Cox

285: Romero (Hopefully)

When does Cox use his redshirt, or will he? This lineup allows for 3-4 high AA's (Mayes, Butler, Miklus and Cox), as well as several potential low end AA's (Leeth, Barnes and Lewis). Pretty good lineup for being a rebuilding year...

Here's what I'd like to see...

125: Barlow McGhee - Potential Qualifier

- 2 MAC spots allocated in 2015

- Dylan Peters (NIU) is the only ranked 125 in the MAC...if Barlow is not on the same side of the bracket at Peters, he should qualify

133: Sam Crane - Potential Qualifier

- Only one MAC spot allocated in 2015, which Synon won

- Mack McGuire (KSU) is the only ranked 133 in the MAC

141: Grant Leeth - Qualifier

- 3 MAC spots allocated in 2015

- Mecate (ODU) and Horan (CMU) both ranked at 144 in the MAC. If Leeth can make the weight, I think he jumps into the top 10-15 by mid-season.

149: Mayes - Mid to High AA

- If he can get past Richardson (ODU) and Claxton (Ohio) and can keep his speed from last year, he's a top 4 finisher at NCAA's. I'd be hard pressed to put him ahead of Tshirts, Retherford or Sorenson, but he will at least compete.

157: Barnes - Qualifier, Potential low AA

- 3 MAC spots allocated in 2015

- He'll have a hard time getting past Miller (KSU), Smith (CMU) and Chino (Ohio), but if he can turn on the NJCAA champ, he'll make noise.

165: Lewis - Qualifier, Round of 12

- 4 MAC spots allocated in 2015

- Moore (NIU) is his only competition in the MAC, so he should qualify no problem

- Question is, will he be what every Missouri high school fan thinks he can be? If so, he'll be a bonus point hammer.

174: Butler - Mid to High AA

- No question that Butler qualifies, and I think he's the best 174 in the MAC, although Walters (Ohio) is ranked higher.

- Mark my words...unless he runs into BoJo or Realbuto, he'll be a finalist.

184: Miklus - Mid to High AA

- He has Dechow in the MAC, which might slow him at the conference tournament

- If Willie turns things up like we know he can, he will be very hard to beat and in my opinion, will only take losses at the NCAA's to Dean or Brown.

- If the NCAA bracket is favorable (no Dean or Brown), he has the potential to make the finals...this is assuming he is at his best

197: Cox - Champ

- Without Snyder at 197, Cox doesn't lose. I don't care what happened last year, McIntosh will not beat him again.

- Burak and Huntly may give him a run, but J'Den should win it all

285: Romero - Qualifier

- 4 MAC spots allocated in 2015

- Romero seems to be the best bet, even as a true freshman

- Whoever is here should qualify

The best case scenario is that all 10 qualify for the NCAA's, with 1-2 potential AA's, 3-4 Mid/High AA's (possibly a few finalists) and a champ. Definitely should put Mizzou in the top 5 if they wrestle to their potential.

Also, I know that allocations are different every year...just wanted to add them for reference.

Nice breakdown, Godfather. I'm not sure about Crane at 133, that dude is pretty thick. I could see Leeth at 141 though, he's awfully short. Hopefully Mayes has taught Barnes how to shoot a double, because he reminds me of EJ Brooks, tough as hell to score on but no offense to speak of. 165-197 is dang tough. People seem to forget that McIntosh caught Cox after his dream of 4 titles was crushed. If Cox is still hungry, I agree no one will touch him. This is a tough sport though, and Cox seems like he has a great attitude about life, where wrestling is only part of it. I'm just not convinced that such a mindset will prevail over more focused, less balanced individuals.

I think we are going to see A LOT of Jaydin Clayton/Eierman at 133.

I think this would be a mistake. Do not see him doing any better than Synon at the NCAA tournament.

They should at least keep the redshirt and wrestle him at quality open tournaments until it becomes

evident that what I said above is incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...
:)

I think this would be a mistake. Do not see him doing any better than Synon at the NCAA tournament.

They should at least keep the redshirt and wrestle him at quality open tournaments until it becomes

I understand your logic with wanting to RS Jaydin. I think we all had similar talks about J'den his freshman year how a 197 was going to be too big for an incoming freshman competing against men at that weight. I think if they are ready to fly, then let them fly. I do like your idea about RS Jaydin until the Las Vegas Invitational, giving him at least 3 opens to see how he fares.

I know Synon/Eierman have been going back and forth in the room, so that will only make them both better.

Another thought: J'den still has a year to RS? Should both J'den and Jaydin RS the same year to maximize the lineup for a title run?

I understand your logic with wanting to RS Jaydin. I think we all had similar talks about J'den his freshman year how a 197 was going to be too big for an incoming freshman competing against men at that weight. I think if they are ready to fly, then let them fly. I do like your idea about RS Jaydin until the Las Vegas Invitational, giving him at least 3 opens to see how he fares.

I know Synon/Eierman have been going back and forth in the room, so that will only make them both better.

Another thought: J'den still has a year to RS? Should both J'den and Jaydin RS the same year to maximize the lineup for a title run?

Yes but probably not going to happen with the NCAA tournament in STL next year.