Middle School Wrestling

Looking at different wrestling sites I noticed that Illinois has school sponsored middle school wrestling? Are there any schools in Missouri that have Middle School wrestling programs which are part of the schools extracurricular activities?

problem with that , is that those kids are limited to were they can wrestle as far as tournaments go. i have a friend whos kid wrestles out there, and they are always coming to see my boy wrestle on weekends... instead of wrestling themselves, i forgot the number of matches they get but its pretty low and if they get caught moonlighting ,they are kicked off the school team

There are several schools that have a middle school program. Most of the MRVC schools have a program. It's true you can't participate in youth wrestling while participating in the middle school program but the middle school programs end early enough in the season so the kids can get several youth tournaments in prior to the State Series.

Schools like the one I coach at where there is a lack of parent involvement it would be beneficial to have middle school programs. Especially in the city. Does MSHSAA sponsor middle school extracurricular activities?

I'm not sure what you mean by the above. If you mean is there a State series sponsored by MSHSAA for the middle school level, then no. Middle school wrestling is regulated by MSHSAA in regards to rules and eligibility. Schools can set-up duals and tournaments with other schools with middle school programs. It would follow the same line as setting up middle school football or basketball games.

Moberly, Mexico, Kirksville, Brookfield, Hannibal, Troy, Farmington, Jackson, North County, Desoto, Popular Bluff, Hillsborough, and Herculaneum all have middle school programs. There are others but they don't come to mind right now. You are correct in assuming it can help boost your numbers when parental support (or even parental knowledge of the sport) is low. It can also help educate students about the sport and increase a fan base in an area where basketball has been king. Most programs start practice between mid October and the first of November and wrap up before Christmas break. The middle school program can then encourage wrestlers to make the transition into club.

Moberly, Mexico, Kirksville, Brookfield, Hannibal, Troy, Farmington, Jackson, North County, Desoto, Popular Bluff, Hillsborough, and Herculaneum all have middle school programs. There are others but they don't come to mind right now. You are correct in assuming it can help boost your numbers when parental support (or even parental knowledge of the sport) is low. It can also help educate students about the sport and increase a fan base in an area where basketball has been king. Most programs start practice between mid October and the first of November and wrap up before Christmas break. The middle school program can then encourage wrestlers to make the transition into club.

Do most of the schools you listed compete with each other, and if so, how does it work (transportation, liability, equipment)?

Coaching a program that has Middle School wrestling it is very benificial. (Moberly) The program is just like any other school sport. We schedule meets and tournaments. Our kids get between 16 and 20 matches in the season and are done by Christmas.

As a school sponsored sport insurance and travel as weill as uniforms are the responibilty of the school.

The major advantages is that it provides a low/no cost alternative to little league. They practice 5 days a week. Really helps build numbers and team depth at the HS level. Our top end young kids are kids club products but the bulk of our team is Middle School recruited.

All six of our graduating seniors are middle school kids not kids club, all six are state qualifiers and 3 won medals including one state champion.

scr,

Great news coach, and glad to hear it is working at Moberly. Does your Middle School have to travel far for matches, and does the school provide transportation? I first tried with the administration at our school but they were only really for making it an after school intramural program, but now going through an inner city boys and girls club that works out of the school to sponsor it after school.

Almost all of the COC schools in southwest MO has Junior High wrestling. They compete with each other and even have a confrence tournament. They start in October and are done the in the first week of December. Then most of the kids to go straight to USA wrestling. I believe the Ozark Conference schools outside of springfield has Junior High wrestling as well, except west plains. They do their season at the same time as the COC does. Springfield does middle school wrestling at the end of Feb. for about 4 weeks. Some USA kids wrestle in this and on the weekends go to the tournaments, but most USA wrestlers in springfield dont wrestle in the middle school program.

SumFalcons - a number of private schools in the St Louis metro area have middle school programs: Westminster, Whitfield, MICDS, Burroughs, Principia, and Priory. Each school (or most schools) takes a turn hosting a "tournament" each week on Tuesday nights. It's low-key, but the kids get a good taste of the sport, and it introduces parents to both the sport and the high school program, as the older kids will be around, at least when their school hosts.

SumFalcons - a number of private schools in the St Louis metro area have middle school programs: Westminster, Whitfield, MICDS, Burroughs, Principia, and Priory. Each school (or most schools) takes a turn hosting a "tournament" each week on Tuesday nights. It's low-key, but the kids get a good taste of the sport, and it introduces parents to both the sport and the high school program, as the older kids will be around, at least when their school hosts.

Can you send me some information on your schedule and competitions to my email? I am just now working out the final details with Herbert Hoover Boys Club for next year. We will be practicing at Hazelwood East Middle School, and will be interested in hosting a Middle School tournament.

Thanks,

Matt Rudd

coachmattrudd@gmail.com