where does the blame go?

I hear many coaches from other schools getting upset over teams bringing under 5 wrestlers to matches or not having a JV or freshman team (class 3 and 4). Does the blame really go to these coaches or the athletic director? I have an opinion on putting the blame on the coaches and athletic director, but the common theme I hear from coaches is that none of the coaches work in the building where then I think then the blame goes to the athletic director? What do you guys think?

In my opinion, it's the head coaches responsibility to build the program. It doesn't mean he has to do all the work but certainly have the framework in place to build a successful program. It may include working with parents and volunteer coaches to get a good youth program in place and getting a middle school program in place. If the process doesn't start involving wrestlers at a young age, then it will be hard to fill those varsity and JV spots in high school. Also, with all the mat time youth wrestlers get today, it's hard to play catch up in high school.

sumfalcons

Agree with your opinion to a point. Looking at some of the schools in the St. Louis area that are consistently having a low turnout for wrestling have a new coach almost every year or every other. It seems like in this area some AD's do not care who the coach is, and hire someone just out of college who does not work in the building or just part time at the school. Then the next year the coach is gone. I bring this topic up because I think some AD's need to take responsibility for this problem. Hire multiple coaches in your building that are dedicated to helping kids succeed should be a priority for Athletic Directors. Talking to veteran coaches, they often mention that part of the hiring process for teachers used to be was to find teachers who take interest in student's after school as well in extracurricular activities. A lot of coaches who were successful in the 70's, and 80's from what I hear never wrestled themselves. They just had a passion for kids, and wanting to see them be successful. Now, teachers are hired who have no interest in extracurrucular activities might be part of the problem...

On a case by case basis, it could be either the coach or the AD. In general though, I don't believe it's an either/or scenario, but rather systemic. The AD and the coach need to work collaboratively on the schedule, and need to be on the same page in terms of where the program is at and what the goals for it are.

Although at times you can lay blame on Coaches and Athletic Directors, I think you are leaving out a key component in all this, The Kids Themselves!

In today's YMCA everybody is a winner world that we live in, I don't think kids are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to become good in this sport. In just about all other sports, a kid can be part of the success and or failure of a team without putting forth much effort on their part. In other words it's easier to hide but still be part of something. If you ask kids why they decided to quit a wrestling team, the number 1 answer is that practices are too hard. You not only hear it from smaller kids but you especially hear that from most of those big football players that we adjusted the weight classes for so they would come out for wrestling. By the way I'm not trying to slight those football players that do wrestle and put forth the effort to be successful but those kids know that the statement is still true.

So in my opinion it's a three part problem and not just Coaches & ADs but kids as well are part of the problem.