10 qualifiers, 0 All Americans....

I think there is a lot more to say. Every one of those wrestlers worked their tails off this year. I have nothing but respect for any person who can just make it through a college wrestling season much less qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Just doing that is more than most of us can say we ever did in athletics.

Mizzou did great at the Big 12 Tournament and will continue to do well in the future. My hats off to Brian Smith for establishing a good program, and good luck to Mizzou in the future. You will be missed in the Big 12 conference next year.

• Like 1
I think there is a lot more to say. Every one of those wrestlers worked their tails off this year. I have nothing but respect for any person who can just make it through a college wrestling season much less qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Just doing that is more than most of us can say we ever did in athletics.

Mizzou did great at the Big 12 Tournament and will continue to do well in the future. My hats off to Brian Smith for establishing a good program, and good luck to Mizzou in the future. You will be missed in the Big 12 conference next year.

Great post Greg. Couldnt agree more.

• Like 1

I believe it is easy to say that if you are a Tiger fan, yesterday was disappointing. Top that with what happened to the basketball team, very tough day as a Tiger fan. Not to take away from the incredable year that the team and coaching staff had. My son and I are die hard Mizzou fan, in every way possible. We are very proud of Mizzou's accomplishments. We were able to witness first hand all the hard work and dedication these individuals put into their season. We were unfortunately a young team that will only grow from this experience. I know in my heart this will give this program even more fuel during the off-season to work and come back next year and prove that it is one of the top programs in the country. You need to just not look at the recent event, but the season as a whole. It is easy for many of us to sit in judgement on the results of the tournament, but overall is what we should try and focus on. Great year for many wrestlers, Big 12 champs, 10 qualifiers. Their are great things on the horizon for this program. Congrates to Coach Smith and all the wrestlers with in the program for your season. I'm still proud to call myself a Tiger fan.

• Like 1

I think the Disappointment expressed is because we have come to expect more of the Mizzou Wrestling program. Coach Smith Has done a outstanding job in the past with a String of top 10 finishes, a team trophy, multiple All-Americans and national Champions. The bar has been set very high and more was and has to be expected. Coach Smith would express the same sentiment.

This year up to nationals was a outstanding season with a first every Big XII championship. But, I will be honest I would have rather taken 4th in the Big XII and then had 2 or 3 All-Americans that put Mizzou possibly in the top 10.

The abnormally bad draws had a little to do with it. But you have to beat someone to be a All-American.

This was in my opinion (being a pessimist right now) the wrong year to have no All-Americans with it being in St. Louis and with Mizzou changing conferences next year to a conference that does not have wrestling. Remember, Oregon Was dropped a year after finishing 7th with a National Champion. While I think the program is safe (for now)... You can never be to careful.

The criticism expressed here is because more is expected now. It has nothing to do with respect... The respect is shown in the expectations, criticism, and disappointment.

all season long people say we work to the end of the season...at all levels of a sport and in any sport...the end of the season is what matters....everything you do as an athlete is geared towards the end of the season..to sit down and say we should look at the season as a whole is wrong thinking and personally i feel defeatist.im sure the team feels more disappointment than anyone sitting outside looking in can possibly feel..but it is what it is.. to sit down and now say that the end isnt really what matters smacks of sour grapes and excuses a poor performance as a team....in an attempt to take the sting out of the weekend seems pc and counterproductive ..it should hurt it should sting...thats what makes you work harder....winners dont love winning, they hate losing...everyone loves to win who wouldnt but you have to hate to lose or you can accept it. just my opinion and im sure most if not all of mizzou team would fundamentaly agree with what im saying

Ditto.

My point wasn't that there shouldn't disappointment, of course athletes should strive to win, that is the point of competing. My rebuttal was directly to the comment "nothing more to say". I very much doubt the Tigers just said "Let's just go have fun at the NCAAs and not worry about the results". I think we can forget these young men are student-athletes and not professionals. Disappointment yes, the whole story no.

But I will say I do share the worry about the future of the Tiger program. I really hope the move to the SEC is not a death knell. I am not sure if any result can save it if that is what becomes the administrations decision...see UNO, however top ten finishes would probably make the decision harder if it comes to that.

the future of the program ...hopefully..isnt as bad as people think..its not like the school is physically moving to the southeastern united states...its still in the midwest and has a good future in sight and, id think, has strong support across the country. i think that just about any conference or regional affiliation would welcome a program like mizzou into thier midst. like i said before..just my opinion and you never can tell ,see uno, but i think it is a program that has support from the admin.

the switch to a regional qualifying system is the only way Missouri and some other schools keep their programs. If it gets voted down by the wrestling coaches... Then it is proof of what I have been thought for a long time. Most wrestling coaches & people are selfish and eat their own. Short sighted and not proactive. But I hope I am wrong.

The proposed plan from my understanding is the Big 10 & EIWA stay the same as a qualifier. then the Big XII (including Mizzou) and the ACC combine to make 1 qualifier. The MAC and the EWL combine to make another qualifier. The SOCO and CAA combine to make another and Finally The Western Wrestling Conference and the PAC 10 combine to make the 6th qualifier.

The Big 12 schools also bombed

The 'Big 12' had a historically bad tournament. They had but one finalist. Okie State had 3 AA's. Oklahoma had 2. Iowa State & Missouri - zero. I'm guessing this is the worst the conference schools EVER did at the nationals. Are these schools now not competitive with the top teams from the Big 10 & the EIWA?

Has any seniors committed to Mizzou? Don't see how anyone is signing there right now...

That is just ridiculous. Yes, they had a bad tournament and everyone is a bit dissapointed. To not see how kids would sign with a consistently top team is crazy. The Miklus signing alone (not to mention the J'Den commitment) makes your statement seem silly.

• Like 1

Cream of the crop

It would be nice to see the best high school, wrestlers remain in Missouri. I can understand a kid wanting to wrestle for a John Smith, Tom Brands or a J. Robinson though. I think the biggest difference is the quality of competition in the practice room at these schools and the assistant coaches who are also available to these kids. I remember watching the NCAA's this weekend and seeing several past national champions as assistant coaches in the corners for these schools. These were also the teams who placed in the top 5. It seems to be a lot easier to convince a kid to commit to that kind of a program if he knows he will be better prepared come time for the nationals. I hate the thought that Mizzou's program may cease to exist.

Sec

I am trying to stay positive about the conference re-alignment. I think it could be a big positive for the University of Missouri wrestling program. To have our university go into so many states that do not have a wrestling program avilable to them in their own state at the D-I level. Do any of the state in the SEC have wrestling at the D-I level? It could be a gold mine to have a leg up on that much possible recruiting.